File No. 201772
IN THE MATTER OF A SETTLEMENT HEARING PURSUANT TO SECTION 24.4 OF BY-LAW NO. 1 OF THE MUTUAL FUND DEALERS ASSOCIATION OF CANADA
Re: Luke Victor Bedard
NOTICE OF SETTLEMENT HEARING
NOTICE is hereby given that a hearing will be held before a hearing panel of the Central Regional Council (“Hearing Panel”) of the Mutual Fund Dealers Association of Canada (“MFDA”) in the hearing room at the MFDA offices, located at 121 King Street West, Suite 1000, Toronto, Ontario on December 14, 2017 at 10:00 a.m. (Eastern), or as soon thereafter as the hearing can be held, to consider whether, pursuant to section 24.4 of By-law No. 1 of the MFDA, the Hearing Panel should accept the settlement agreement (“Settlement Agreement”) entered into between Staff of the MFDA and Luke Victor Bedard (“Respondent”).
The subject matter of the proposed Settlement Agreement concerns matters for which the Respondent may be disciplined as an Approved Person of the MFDA, pursuant to ss. 20 and 24.1.1 of By-law No. 1 of the MFDA.
DATED: Jul 28, 2017
Director of Regional Councils
Mutual Fund Dealers Association of Canada
121 King St. West, Suite 1000
Toronto, ON M5H 3T9
- The proposed settlement agreement concerns the allegations that:
- between January 2011 and May 2015, the Respondent falsified 65 client initials on account forms, in respect of 17 clients, and used the account forms to process transactions, contrary to MFDA Rule 2.1.1;
- between January 2011 and May 2015, the Respondent obtained, possessed and, in some instances, used to process transactions, 248 pre-signed account forms in respect of 47 clients, contrary to MFDA Rule 2.1.1; and
- on September 4, 2015, the Respondent misled MFDA Staff during the course of a compliance examination by stating that he does not have clients sign account forms before the forms are fully complete when he knew or ought to have known that this was false, contrary to MFDA Rule 2.1.1.
- MFDA settlement hearings are typically held in the absence of the public pursuant to section 20.5 of MFDA By-law No. 1 and Rule 15.2(2) of the MFDA Rules of Procedure.