The MFDA is formally recognized as a self-regulatory organization (SRO) by the provincial securities regulatory authorities in Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Saskatchewan, Yukon Territory, Northwest Territories, and Nunavut (Recognizing Regulators).
The current MFDA Recognition Orders are listed here:
- Alberta Securities Commission Recognition Order
- British Columbia Securities Commission Recognition Order
- Manitoba Securities Commission Recognition Order
- Financial and Consumer Services Commission (New Brunswick) Recognition Order (en français)
- Nova Scotia Securities Commission Recognition Order
- Ontario Securities Commission Recognition Order
- Superintendent of Securities of Prince Edward Island Recognition Order
- Financial and Consumer Affairs Authority of Saskatchewan Recognition Order
- Office of the Yukon Superintendent of Securities Recognition Order
- Northwest Territories Office of the Superintendent of Securities Recognition Order
- Related – Memorandum of Understanding Regarding Oversight of the Mutual Fund Dealers Association of Canada
Under the Recognition Orders, each of the Recognizing Regulators has imposed Terms and Conditions on the recognition of the MFDA. The Recognizing Regulators oversee the MFDA’s operations, which includes:
- Reviewing information filed by the MFDA under its Recognition Orders;
- Reviewing and approving new and amended rules, policies and other similar instruments and by-laws of MFDA;
- Performing periodic reviews of the MFDA’s regulatory functions; and
In addition, the Recognizing Regulators also deal with matters or issues raised by MFDA Members, Approved Persons, investors and other stakeholders with respect to the regulatory activities of the MFDA.
The Principal Regulator of the MFDA is the British Columbia Securities Commission (www.bcsc.bc.ca).
Oversight Review Reports of the MFDA can be found at Oversight Review Reports.
The MFDA has entered into a Co-operative Agreement with the Autorité des marchés financiers. A copy of that agreement can be viewed here: Co-operative Agreement.