MFDA Hearing Panel issues Reasons for Decision in the matter of Marc Simard
June 6, 2018 (Toronto, Ontario) – A Hearing Panel of the Prairie Regional Council of the Mutual Fund Dealers Association of Canada (“MFDA”) has issued its Reasons for Decision dated June 5, 2018 in connection with a settlement hearing held in Winnipeg, Manitoba on March 9, 2018 in the matter of Marc Joseph Simard (“Respondent”).
In its Reasons for Decision, the Hearing Panel confirmed the sanctions imposed on the Respondent. In particular, the Respondent:
- has paid a fine in the amount of $11,000;
- has paid costs in the amount of $2,500; and
- shall in the future comply with MFDA Rule 2.1.1.
In the Settlement Agreement dated December 12, 2017, the Respondent admitted that:
- between March 2014 and June 2016, he falsified and used to process transactions, seven account forms in respect of five clients by altering information on the account forms without having the clients initial the alterations, contrary to MFDA Rule 2.1.1; and
- between March 2014 and May 2016, he obtained, possessed, and in some instances, used to process transactions, 21 pre-signed account forms in respect of 15 clients, contrary to MFDA Rule 2.1.1.
Copies of the Reasons for Decision and the Settlement Agreement are available on the MFDA website at www.mfda.ca. During the period described in the Reasons for Decision, the Respondent carried on business in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
The MFDA is the self-regulatory organization for Canadian mutual fund dealers, regulating the operations, standards of practice and business conduct of its Members and their approximately 82,000 Approved Persons with a mandate to protect investors and the public interest. For more information about the MFDA’s complaint and enforcement processes, as well as links to ‘Check an Advisor’ and other Investor Tools, visit the For Investors page on the MFDA website.