MFDA Hearing Panel issues Reasons for Decision in the matter of Mohamed Al-Bayoumi
November 30, 2017 (Toronto, Ontario) – A Hearing Panel of the Central Regional Council of the Mutual Fund Dealers Association of Canada (“MFDA”) has issued its Reasons for Decision (“Reasons for Decision”) in connection with a settlement hearing held in Toronto, Ontario on September 28, 2017 in the matter of Mohamed Said Ahmed Al-Bayoumi (“Respondent”).
In its Reasons for Decision dated November 30, 2017, the Hearing Panel confirmed the sanctions imposed on the Respondent. In particular, the Respondent:
- has paid a fine in the amount of $5,000;
- has paid costs in the amount of $2,500;
- is prohibited from acting in the capacity of branch manager in the employ of or associated with a Member of the MFDA for a period of 18 months;
- prior to being re-designated as a branch manager, he shall successfully complete the branch manager’s course offered by the Canadian Securities Institute or the Investment Funds Institute of Canada; and
- in the future shall comply with MFDA Rule 2.1.1.
A copy of the Reasons for Decision is available on the MFDA website at www.mfda.ca. During the period described in the Reasons for Decision, the Respondent carried on business in the London, Ontario area.
The MFDA is the self-regulatory organization for Canadian mutual fund dealers, regulating the operations, standards of practice and business conduct of its Members and their approximately 83,000 Approved Persons with a mandate to protect investors and the public interest. For more information about the MFDA’s complaint and enforcement processes, as well as links to ‘Check an Advisor’ and other Investor Tools, visit the For Investors page on the MFDA website.