March 23, 2020 (Toronto, Ontario) – A settlement hearing in the matter of Jared Keith Saffran (“Respondent”) was held on March 20, 2020 in Calgary, Alberta before a three-member Hearing Panel of the Prairie Regional Council of the Mutual Fund Dealers Association of Canada (“MFDA”).
The Hearing Panel approved the settlement agreement dated December 10, 2019 (“Settlement Agreement”) between Staff of the MFDA and the Respondent, as a consequence of which the following sanctions were imposed on the Respondent:
- a fine in the amount of $12,500;
- costs in the amount of $2,500; and
- shall in the future comply with MFDA Rule 2.1.1.
In the Settlement Agreement, the Respondent admitted that:
- between June 2013 and September 2017, he obtained, possessed, and used to process transactions, 28 pre-signed account forms in respect of 17 clients, contrary to MFDA Rule 2.1.1; and
- between June 2013 and August 2017, he altered and used to process transactions, 13 account forms in respect of nine clients, by altering information on the account forms without having the clients initial the alterations, contrary to MFDA Rule 2.1.1.
A copy of the Settlement Agreement is available on the MFDA website at www.mfda.ca. During the period described in the Settlement Agreement, the Respondent conducted business in the Airdrie, Alberta area.
The MFDA is the self-regulatory organization for Canadian mutual fund dealers, regulating the operations, standards of practice and business conduct of its Members and their approximately 81,000 Approved Persons with a mandate to protect investors and the public interest. For more information about the MFDA’s complaint and enforcement processes, as well as links to ‘Check an Advisor’ and other Investor Tools, visit the For Investors page on the MFDA website.