March 31, 2021 (Toronto, Ontario) – A settlement hearing in the matter of Bhavin Prafullc Vyas (“Respondent”) was held on March 30, 2021, by electronic hearing before a three-member Hearing Panel of the Prairie Regional Council of the Mutual Fund Dealers Association of Canada (“MFDA”).
The Hearing Panel accepted the settlement agreement dated December 7, 2020 (“Settlement Agreement”), between Staff of the MFDA and the Respondent, as a consequence of which the following sanctions were imposed on the Respondent:
- a fine in the amount of $8,000;
- costs in the amount of $2,500; and
- shall in the future comply with MFDA Rule 2.1.1.
In the Settlement Agreement, the Respondent admitted that:
- between October 2017 and February 2019, he obtained, possessed, and in some instances, used to process transactions, 11 pre-signed account forms in respect of 7 clients, contrary to MFDA Rule 2.1.1; and
- between August 2018 and January 2019, he altered and used to process transactions 10 account forms in respect of 4 clients by altering information on the account forms without having the clients initial the alterations, contrary to MFDA Rule 2.1.1.
A copy of the Settlement Agreement is available on the MFDA website at www.mfda.ca. During the period described in the Settlement Agreement, the Respondent conducted business out of the Edmonton, Alberta area.
The MFDA is the self-regulatory organization for Canadian mutual fund dealers, regulating the operations, standards of practice and business conduct of its Members and their approximately 80,000 Approved Persons with a mandate to protect investors and the public interest. For more information about the MFDA’s complaint and enforcement processes, as well as links to ‘Check an Advisor’ and other Investor Tools, visit the For Investors page on the MFDA website.