March 10, 2021 (Toronto, Ontario) – A settlement hearing in the matter of Patrick Daniel Lynch (“Respondent”) was held by electronic hearing on March 9, 2021, before a three-member Hearing Panel of the Central Regional Council of the Mutual Fund Dealers Association of Canada (“MFDA”).
The Hearing Panel accepted the settlement agreement dated January 29, 2021 (“Settlement Agreement”), between Staff of the MFDA and the Respondent, as a consequence of which the following sanctions were imposed on the Respondent:
- a fine in the amount of $11,500;
- costs in the amount of $1,750; and
- shall in the future comply with MFDA Rule 2.1.1.
In the Settlement Agreement, the Respondent admitted that:
- between August 21, 2013 and February 27, 2019, he obtained, possessed, and used to process transactions, 15 pre-signed account forms in respect of 9 clients, contrary to MFDA Rule 2.1.1; and
- between March 27, 2015 and March 4, 2019, he altered and used to process transactions, 20 account forms in respect of 16 clients, by altering information on the account forms without having the client initial the alterations, contrary to MFDA Rule 2.1.1.
A copy of the Settlement Agreement is available on the MFDA website at www.mfda.ca. During the period described in the Settlement Agreement, the Respondent conducted business out of the Hamilton, Ontario area.
The MFDA is the self-regulatory organization for Canadian mutual fund dealers, regulating the operations, standards of practice and business conduct of its Members and their approximately 81,000 Approved Persons with a mandate to protect investors and the public interest. For more information about the MFDA’s complaint and enforcement processes, as well as links to ‘Check an Advisor’ and other Investor Tools, visit the For Investors page on the MFDA website.