NOTICE is hereby given that a hearing will be held before a hearing panel of the Central Regional Council (“Hearing Panel”) of the Mutual Fund Dealers Association of Canada (“MFDA”) in the hearing room at the offices of the MFDA, 121 King Street West, Suite 1000, Toronto, Ontario on January 15, 2020 at 10:00 a.m. (Eastern), or as soon thereafter as the matter can be heard, to consider whether, pursuant to section 24.4 of By-law No. 1 of the MFDA, the Hearing Panel should accept the settlement agreement (“Settlement Agreement”) entered into between Staff of the MFDA and Winston Castle (the “Respondent”).
The subject matter of the proposed Settlement Agreement concerns matters for which the Respondent may be disciplined as an Approved Person of the MFDA, pursuant to ss. 20 and 24.1.1 of By-law No. 1 of the MFDA.
- The proposed Settlement Agreement concerns allegations that the Respondent:
- between October 23, 2014 and October 2, 2015, engaged in personal financial dealings with a client when he purchased foreign currency from a client in a manner that favoured his interests over those of the client, thereby giving rise to a conflict or potential conflict of interest, which the Respondent failed to disclose to the Member, or failed to address by the exercise of responsible business judgment influenced only by the best interests of the client, contrary to the Member’s policies and procedures, and MFDA Rule 2.1.4 and 2.1.1;
- commencing June 20, 2016, failed to comply with the Member’s policies and procedures pertaining to accounts where the Approved Person receives instructions from a third party appointed by a client as a Power of Attorney, contrary to MFDA Rules 2.5.1, 1.1.2, and 2.1.1; and
- between January 2011 and October 2017, altered and used to process transactions 95 account forms, by altering information on the account forms without having the client initial the alterations, contrary to MFDA Rule 2.1.1.
- MFDA settlement hearings are typically held in the absence of the public pursuant to section 20.5 of MFDA By-law No. 1 and Rule 15.2(2) of the MFDA Rules of Procedure.
Michelle PongMichelle PongDirector, Regional Councils
Mutual Fund Dealers Association of Canada
121 King St. West, Suite 1000
Toronto, ON M5H 3T9
E-mail: [email protected]